Mahuli Fort At 2815 ft, is the highest point in the Thane district. The forest surrounding Mahuli has been declared as a sanctuary. Once Shahaji Raje, father of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, had this fortress under his belt. The trek starts near a temple and has a well marked road right till the top.
District - Thane.
Height above mean sea level - 2815 feet.
Base Village - Asangaon
Duration of trek - 1 day.
Region - Kasara
Time to reach the top - 2 hours.
Water/Food Availability - A small cistern at the top may have potable water in the monsoon, carry water from the base in other seasons.
Best season to visit - Anytime, unsheltered route not best to trek in summer.
Sights to visit - Mahadarwaja, dens, temple, fort remnants.
Difficulty Rating - Simple.
Endurance required - 3/5.
Shelter - Dens.
How to get there - Dadar to Asangaon via local train. Asangaon to Mahuli trek route starting, you can either walk which takes an hour or take a rickshaw.
- Mahuli is a well marked trek with no scope of getting lost, so going without a guide is no problem.
- Fairly easy trek, which takes 2 hours from the start to reach a plateau, from where you can explore the dens, temples and fort remnants.
- No water available at the top.
- The river near the base village has pink dragonflies, which are very rare. Be careful, the river during winter has stagnant water which houses water snakes.
- The den, when we last visited was very dirty and it is not ideal to stay in. The surrounding areas are also a mess now, as people who have come in the past have littered a lot.
- Also, the government has recently released 4 tigers in the forests ahead of Mahuli. Although they usually don't venture out, it is important to have this information and be a little cautious just the same.
|The view along the trek.|
|The trek route!|
|Sahil standing at the mouth of the den.|
|The summit as seen from the base village.|